The Tuck You Inn was built in 1880 and was used as a home until March 30, 1921 when Thomas E. and Ola M. Carneal bought it.It was then turned into the first hospital in the Winamac area. They owned it for a year and a half. During that time, the entire second story was ruined by a fire.It was said to have been started by a hot ember from the chimney that landed on the wood shingled roof.At that time, they removed the entire second story and added a single story addition.This housed 7 private exam rooms and a half bath.They used this addition until the sale of the property on September 27, 1922.The story goes that Carneal was forced to move the practice to the business side of town. Due to the fact that when the train was at the depot, people couldn't get to the hospital.
The property once again became a single family dwelling until John Schmicker purchased it on November 16, 1998.He purchased it with the intention of opening a business there but was denied zoning from the town for his original plan.Through the years the home has been used for storage and rented several times.It has been sold on land contract three times and has come back to John each time.Then in 2008, he renovated the old house with intentions of selling one last time.After all of that hard work though, John and his wife just couldn't bring themselves to sell the house, so they decided to fulfill a dream that they shared of opening a bed and breakfast.Once again they went before the town board with hopes of zoning the house for a business, and finally they got the approval they were looking for all this time.